With the skyrocketing price of red meat, chicken has become a staple in many household’s diets. What we love most about chicken is its versatility as well as how easy it is to prepare.
The following chicken recipes are perfect for the Banting or LCHF diet and we can’t wait to hear which one of these are your favourite.
Open Chicken Burgers with Chilli and Avacado
We love this summery take on the old chicken burger classic.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large ripe avocado – cut into chunks
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
- ⅓ cup Panko crumbs or Almond meal (to keep it Paleo friendly )
- 1 minced Poblano or Jalapeño pepper (optional but recommended)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and toss gently.
- Shape into desired size patties and grill inside or out!
Baked Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
This baked chicken dish is so easy to prepare. Pop it in the oven and in no time you’re good to go.
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; set aside.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet. Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 5-6 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in chicken broth, thyme, oregano and basil. Return chicken to the skillet.
- Place into oven and roast until completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes. Set aside chicken; reserving juices in the pan.
- Stir in heavy cream, Parmesan and mustard. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken immediately, topped with mushroom mixture.
Grilled Lemon Dijon Chicken
We love this on the braai or barbaque
Probably the most ridiculously easy chicken marinade known to mankind, but so good you’ll be making it over and over again! Grilled Lemon Dijon Chicken- Fast, Easy, Delicious…Mouthwateringly perfect in every way!
Grilling season never really ends here, and for that I’m super grateful because I adore grilled food! The beautiful thing about this recipe though is it’s really all about the marinade, so even though grilling is highly encouraged, it’s not completely necessary
You should know by now that I love simple recipes.
Using ingredients that we all probably have laying around in the kitchen are the ones that usually can create the most deliciously flavored foods!
Here’s what you’ll need…Serves 4
- Chicken (I’m using boneless, skinless chicken breast here)
- Qt sized or larger Ziploc bag
- 1-2 lemons (about a 1/4 cup of juice)
- about 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken Wrapped in Bacon
These stuffed chicken breasts take a bit of time to prepare but are well worth the effort
- 4 (6 ounce) chicken breasts, butterflied or pounded thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons roasted jalapenos (or fresh, or pickled), diced
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup monterey jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices bacon
- Lay the chicken flat, season the outside with salt and pepper, spread 1/4 of the mixture of the jalapenos and the cheeses on the chicken breasts, roll them up and wrap each in 2 slices of bacon
- Grill over indirect medium heat, with the lid down, until the bacon is crispy and the chicken is cooked (160F to 165F), about 20-30 minutes, or bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven on a wire rack on a baking pan until cooked, about 20-30 minutes, turning the oven to broil for the last few minutes to ensure that the bacon is crispy.
Garlic Chicken with Mozzarella & Mint Pesto
This is another favourite in our house. It ges really well with delicious steamed vegies.
Preparation 20 minutes
4 chicken breasts
garlic rub (garlic powder, seasoning mix of choice and salt & pepper)
4 slices of mozzarella
1 bunch of herbs (mint, basil, parsley, tarragon all work)
extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 bunch of baby spinach
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1) Puree herbs in a food processor or blender, equal parts herb to EVOO add a pinch of salt.
2) Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
3) Rub chicken with garlic mixture.
4) When skillet is hot cook chicken about 4 minutes per side or until no longer pink in center.
5) While the chicken is cooking heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in pan and add spinach with a pinch of salt. Cook until spinach wilts, then add lemon zest, mix.
6) When chicken is cooked put a slice of mozzarella on each piece and transfer skillet to oven. Broil for about 3 minutes or until mozzarella melts well and gets a little brown.
7) Plate chicken on top of spinach. Serve with rice, potatoes, or bread.
Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
We love whipping this Banting Alfredo up when we’re in a rush and the great thing is our kids love it too!
- 4large skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- black pepper
- 1⁄2small onion
- 2cups heavy cream
- 1cup of grated romano cheese
- 4tablespoons butter
- 4cups of cut up steamed broccoli
- 2egg yolks
- Melt butter in a large frying pan.
- Cut chicken into large strips sauté in the butter.
- Add onions until golden brown.
- Add broccoli and sauté for one minute.
- Add heavy cream and bring to a boil.
- Add cheese and egg yolk; mix well.
- Serves 4 people.
Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad with Roasted Asparagus
A great summery treat when you need an easy meal when you’re lazing around the pool
Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad with Roasted Asparagus recap:
- Bowl o’ freshness.
- Hot or cold.
- Big family vacation rocks.
- 8 slices good quality thick bacon (smoked is yummy)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (more to taste)
- 4 cups spinach, cut or torn into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces chicken breast slices (I get it from the deli counter)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ¼ cup good quality olive oil (I got mine from a Hampton’s Lane package)
- ¼ cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- fresh basil for topping
- Fry the bacon according to package directions (I go for crispy on this one). Drain on a paper towel lined plate and crumble or chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over high heat. Add the asparagus, sprinkle with lemon pepper, and saute until golden brown and roasty-looking. I like the little charred pieces so I cooked it a little longer – you can cook for as long as you like depending on how you like your asparagus.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Layer the spinach, chicken, asparagus, and bacon. Cut the avocado into slices and scoop out with a spoon; arrange over the top of the salad. Drizzle or toss with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Top with fresh basil, salt and pepper.
We really hope you loved these recipes as much as we did. We’d appreciate it if you helped spread the love by if you did by using the social sharing buttons at the top and bottom of this page to share these recipes with the people in your network
As a thank you for popping by, we have put together a free gift for you.