something super fast with less bread and more filling I make this one! The kids like it plain, Michael on the other hand…
This couldn’t be simpler. It will take just one minute to cook the low-carb bread in your microwave and another couple to fry it up in a pan once layered ooey gooey good! Here’s my recipe:
- 2 Heaping Tablespoons Almond Flour
- 1 Large Egg
- Softened (not melted) Butter
- Cheese Slices
- Sliced Deli Ham
- Thinly Sliced Tomato
- Pre-cooked Bacon or Bacon Bits
- Whisk 1 egg with the almond flour.
- Spread evenly onto a microwavable surface – I used a lid from one of myDebbie Meyer Green Boxes but any microwave container or plate will do. My slice of bread ends up 5-1/2″ x 7-3/4″.
- Pop it into the microwave for 1 minute or until set.
- Remove and cut bread in half.
- Butter one side of each half with your softened butter.
- Position one half of the bread, butter side down, in a small frying pan.
- Layer with desired cheese, and any other ingredients you desire; deli ham, thinly sliced (to get the flavor but not the carbs) tomato, some pre-cooked bacon, or just MORE cheese!
- Cover ingredients with remaining slice of bread, butter side up.
- Fry over medium-high heat covered (clear lid makes it easier to watch it’s progress) with a lid to help melt all that ooey gooey good cheese until everything is nicely heated through.
- Remove to a plate, cut and serve!
Can you believe it? I don’t know about you but while my cupboard might be bare I always have almond flour and eggs!
These honest to goodness, hold them in your hands sandwiches are ooey gooey good! Just listen to them sizzle! That whole griddle (2 batches) is only 6 net carbs total! Michael and I split it for a delicious lunch of only 3 net carbs each!
As far as what to put in between the slices of bread… let you imagine be your guide. I have made them with various kinds of cheese, with ham and (in the photo at the top) swiss, I have added a thin slice of tomato and slices of pre-cooked bacon.
I would love to hear some of your ideas for delicious combinations so please leave them in your comment below!
In the meantime anyone own a sandwich grill? I am on the hunt and would love your feedback!