Now, it is rare to travel anywhere and not see a Starbucks. People will get up early to grab it before work. They will wait in long lines, pre-order through their app, and even fork over cash they really don’t have for a cup of that delicious bean juice.
So the big question on every low carbers mind is “Do I have to give up my daily Starbucks to maintain my low carb, ketogenic lifestyle?” The answer is NO!! You just have to get creative with your ordering. Don’t be too shy to ask for exactly what you want. You are handing over your hard earned money and paying a premium to go to Starbucks, versus other coffee chains. You should get exactly what you want, even if it is an off-menu or custom made drink. Never once have I been met with anything but friendliness when requesting a special order. They may not always get it right, but they will certainly try and are always willing to remake it. I am here to help you get creative with your low carb ordering. Starbucks is back on your low carb menu!! So, what can you order? Here are several to get your started. I will add more options as I think of them.
The obvious choices:
- Espresso – There are no carbs in a shot of espresso. It is definitely an acquired taste, but it is always a viable option.
- Drip Coffee – You can drink it black or you can add cream and sugar free syrup to it. This is how I drink my coffee at home on most days. When I am not drinking Bulletproof coffee that is.
- Iced Coffee – Again, you can add any sugar free syrups you want to this. You can also add heavy cream or half and half
- Cold Brew – This is made in house daily and in small batches. Get it early before they are sold out.
- Hot Tea – Starbucks has a lot of great hot tea flavors. Drink it as is or add a little sweetener or sugar free syrup to it.
- Cappucino – Cappuccino is just espresso and milk foam. If you like it wetter, it also has a little steamed milk in it. You can have it plain or you can add sugar free syrup to it. There is something so comforting about a foamy cappuccino.
Here are some options to replace your daily latte:
- Order an americano (iced or hot) with a splash of heavy cream. Starbucks makes their own whipped cream, therefore they all carry heavy cream. If you want it flavored, just add any of their sugar free syrups.
- Order a latte, sub half and half (breve) or heavy cream. If you want it flavored, just add any of their sugar free syrups. This will be very creamy. If you don’t want it so rich, order the americano option above instead.
- Order a latte, but ask for almond milk or coconut milk as a substitution. Many Starbucks now carry both. Note – They are not unsweetened and do have some sugar and carbs. They are still much lower than milk. Ask to see the container. They will happily show you. Then you can see for sure if they are right for your personal carb allowance.
Here are some options to replace your daily frappucino:
- This one took them a couple of tries to get right. They looked at me like I was nuts, but once they got it right, it became my favorite summer drink. Ask for a Coffee Light Frappucino with half water and half heavy cream instead of the nonfat milk. It has a subtle sweetness all on its own, but you can add any of their sugar free syrups for a little more flavor
- Ask for a Sugar Free Cinnamon Dulce Light Frappucino with half water and half heavy cream instead of non-fat milk. Trust me when I tell you that your low carb blended coffee drink game just got elevated.
Here are some options to replace your daily mocha:
- Order a Skinny Mocha with half heavy cream and half water. Alternately you can ask to sub half and half (breve)
- Order an Americano with skinny mocha sauce and a splash of heavy cream
- Order a coconut or almond milk mocha, sub skinny mocha sauce
- Order a sugar free peppermint mocha with skinny mocha sauce with half heavy cream and half water. Alternately, you can ask to sub half and half (breve)
- Not a coffee drinker? Order a skinny mocha hot chocolate breve
Save carbs and money and make your own:
If you are looking to save some cash and probably even a few carbs, you can try out these low carb, keto Starbucks copycat recipes. If you have ever been in line and found yourself drooling over the pastry case, have no fear, I have included some copycat recipes for some of Starbucks most popular sweet treats as well.
Low Carb Starbucks Copycat Caramel Frappucino – All Day I Dream About Food
Low Carb Copy Cat Cool Lime Refresher – Sugar Free Mom
Low Carb Starbucks Copycat Pumpkin Spice Latte – Low Carb So Simple
Low Carb Pumpkin Spice Spice Frappucino
Iced Vanilla Green Tea Matcha Latte – Low Carb Yum
Low Carb Starbucks Pink Drink Copycat Recipe – KetoDiet Blog
Starbucks Lemon Loaf – Maria Mind Body Health
Mini Vanilla Bean Scones – All Day I Dream About Food
Low Carb Starbucks Copycat Salted Caramel Cake Pops – All Day I Dream About Food